AUBURNDALE, FL – Fi-Foil Company, the leader in high-performance insulation technology, is proud to announce that its versatile HY-Fi® Hybrid Insulation was featured in the energy-efficient National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) 2019 The New American Remodel (TNAR) showcase home.
One of the primary goals of the 2019 TNAR Home is to demonstrate high-performance products that can be combined to achieve a superior building envelope solution at an affordable price.
HY-Fi® Hybrid Insulation – a multi-layered, reflective insulation constructed with premium low emissivity (Low-e) surfaces and a tough foil-reinforced scrim – was among the products specified in the TNAR thermal envelope. HY-Fi was used as part of the walls and roof assemblies to help the 60-year-old remodel reach its target Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index and Department of Energy Zero Energy Ready Certification.
"We’re thrilled that our HY-Fi hybrid insulation was specified for the Las Vegas New American Remodel project,” said company CEO Bill Lippy. “HY-Fi used with open cell spray foam creates higher performing walls and ceiling systems than using open cell spray foam alone. Saving material and labor costs, the HY-Fi hybrid system is the exact solution this home required. We’re sure that HY-Fi and the other high-performance insulation products used in conjunction with it will keep the home’s new owners comfortable for years to come.”
The product was chosenbecause its multi-layer Low-e surface design works to enhance enclosed cavity air space by significantly reducing radiant heat transfer. When used in conjunction with other insulation products, the HY-Fi system helps improve thermal performance of the envelope within a tighter budget and with less impact on the environment.
"We’re really big fans of Fi-Foil’s product because of its many different uses and ways that it can be incorporated into the envelope insulation system,” said Drew Smith, TNAR Energy Consultant and COO of Two Trails, Inc., a sustainable building consulting and verification firm with offices in Florida and Nevada. “We’re able to use different products in different applications and get a tight, very efficient thermal envelope."
Since 1984, each year NAHB selects an existing home to be transformed into a high-performance, energy-efficient remodel that incorporates indoor-air quality, safety and design and reduces energy consumption by up to 40 percent with little or no impact on construction costs.
TNAR home is unveiled annually at the International Builders Show and toured by thousands of building professionals who incorporate the innovations in their own projects. The 2019 TNAR exemplifies an interdisciplinary Systems-Engineering approach.
Some details showcase the importance and impact of HY-Fi energy efficiency in extreme conditions:
- The home started as an early 1960s single-story ranch with a pre-remodel HERS Index of 135. The 2019 TNAR – a luxury two-story turnkey – has a preliminary HERS Index of 58.
- With the new HERS rating, the home is projected to produce an annual energy savings of more than $1,621.
- The Henderson, NV-based contractor Luxus Design Build, LLC, determined the south-facing walls required a combined R-value of nearly 50 to keep the desert heat at bay. Exterior wall assemblies required R-35 and the roof assembly required R-40.
- In the walls, 3.5 inches of open-cell spray foam was used leaving a 2- to 2.5-inch air pocket in the cavity. Installing HY-Fi to enclose the cavity added R-8 to the wall systems.
- Up to 4.5 inches of closed-cell spray foam was used in the roof assembly, with HY-Fi installed facing the attic space as part of the roof and ceiling assemblies.
- As much as 24 inches of open attic space was enclosed to contribute a minimum R-8 to these assemblies as well as forming a barrier against radiant heat in all wall and ceiling systems.
Fi-Foil manufactures advanced reflective insulation products and systems. The company offers an extensive line of value engineered products made with sustainable building materials. Products are tested by ASTM International tested and backed by third-party verified code compliance. Fi-Foil has been serving the industry for more than 30 years and is committed to sustainability and the advancement of green building technologies. Learn more at FiFoil.com.